Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Open Cities


Today I received the very unique opportunity to talk to some of the regions key people as far as migration to Slovakia is concerned. Open Cities is a 3 year project which "explores how immigration can significantly contribute to a city's success." together with the British Counsil and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the region of Nitra. I was invited to participate in a panel discussion about why and how I came to be in Slovakia, as well as some of the challenges I had to face in coming. So, in addition to speaking about some of my experiences of going for a chest x-ray for the first time, and being sent from one government office to the next, I also shared about why I am here personally. While I wasn't given a lot of freedom to share, I was able to tell them about the grace of God, and the vision that I believe that God has for Nitra and for Slovakia. I also got to mention our church, which still isn't very well known in the city by the general populous.

During the lunch break, I found out that one of the delegates was from our church, but in Bratislava. I was also able to make new connections with a young couple and a few other people who were at this conference.

I was very glad to be a part of this, these people are going to be, over the next 3 years, making pushes to change the way Nitra reacts to foreign migrants. They will be lobbying for the creation of new systems and legislation, as well as pushing for changes to be made in existing structures and patterns. I was very blessed to have this opportunity to share about the kingdom, even if it was just in a small way, to this community of people. I hope that they will call me again!

No comments: